Deputy Country Representative
UTZ is a label and program for sustainable farming worldwide. Our mission is to create a world where sustainable farming is the norm. Sustainable farming helps farmers, workers and their families to fulfill their ambitions and contributes to safeguard the world’s resources, now and in the future.
UTZ is one of the largest programs for responsibly produced coffee, tea, and cocoa in the world, working across all continents with leading brands and retailers, such as Sara Lee, Mars, Nestlé, Heinz, Ahold and IKEA. UTZ’s field support network, standards and certification services, and traceability system enable markets to reward good practices. UTZ works together with major stakeholders – from industry, government and civil society to producers and farmers – to achieve a more sustainable sector for coffee, tea and cocoa.
UTZ is headquartered in Amsterdam and works closely with its partner networks in Africa, Asia and Latin America. The UTZ team in Côte d’Ivoire offers a program to better serve its cocoa members in line with UTZ vision and innovations. Currently, UTZ is looking for a:
Deputy Country Representative – based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
The Deputy Country Representative (DCR) will have key responsibilities in Côte d’Ivoire in the coordination, development and implementation of UTZ’s country activities. S/He maintains and develops active networks and contributes to the country strategy on sustainability issues in the cocoa sector in Côte d‘Ivoire.
The DCR will be part of the Africa regional team, working in close collaboration with the Regional Representative for West Africa as well as the Headquarters and reports to the Regional Representative for West Africa. S/He will be based in UTZ Abidjan Office with frequent domestic travel, plus occasional travel in the region and to Amsterdam.
- Responsible for the implementation of the UTZ strategy in Côte d’Ivoire
- Manages and maintains various stakeholder relations and market linkages
- Supply information and workability of traceability in local context.
- Development and implementation of UTZ training strategy for members
- Supports the implementation of specific projects together with colleagues in charge
- Monitors and supports the actions required for compliance of administration and finance of Côte d’Ivoire office with national and international guidelines/requirements
- Education in agronomy/rural development/sociology or economy, other relevant qualifications may be considered. Educational level at least BAC+04 years (master or engineer equivalent)
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in the cocoa sector in Côte d’Ivoire preferably related to sustainability and preferably certification
- Experience with farmer training: strategy, quality management, M&E
- Familiar with use of IT technology and system applications in agricultural context
- Pro-active and innovative thinker.
- Strong communicator, credible ambassador with diverse stakeholders (producers, traders, government) with proven change management skills
- Fluent in French, able to communicate in English (written, verbal)
- Willingness to work and travel independently, spend significant time in the rural areas
WHAT WE OFFER:
Employment is based on 40 hours/week, a one-year contract with an option to extend. UTZ provides a dynamic and international working environment with an entrepreneurial and innovative approach. UTZ is an equal opportunity employer. Starting date of the assignment is foreseen as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your application (1-page letter and 2-page CV, including references) in English to application AT duurzaamheidwerkt DOT com before 22 October 2017, mentioning Deputy Country Representative Côte d’Ivoire in the subject line. Interviews are foreseen in November 2017.
If you have questions about this position please send them to siriki.diakite AT utz DOT org with copy to the above e-mail addresses. For more information about UTZ, visit www.utz.org.